Even though I said my bread machine would change my life, the reality is I just kind of stopped eating bread. So when this bag of beautiful parbaked bread came in the mail from Dr. Schär I kind of lost my mind a little bit. Instead of thinking, “We’ll have some nice rolls with dinner, that’s so lovely,” I went full-on, “I’m making gluten-free cream cheese stuffed french toast, everybody. Get outta’ my way!”
And this is why my husband is insisting we change our diet. Whatever. This toast is something wickedly good, and you’re going to want to make it too. So I grabbed the gluten-free baguette and decided on mini french toast stackers. Or at least, that’s what I call them. But they totally look like that, so it’s a brilliant idea — obviously. See?
This is a really simple recipe that my brother sort of threw together back in the 1990s before the foodie movement when we were all, “Oh my god, you’re a culinary genius!” And even though it’s possible to walk into IHOP now and get stuffed french toast (is it? I actually don’t know since I can’t go there anymore because they put pancake batter in their omelettes. Seriously, IHOP? You suck.), this recipe is still a stand-out for the egg, milk, nutmeg, vanilla combo that washes all over your bread.
I actually used my new favorite Vietnamese cinnamon instead of nutmeg. Mostly because I couldn’t find my nutmeg this morning, but also because there’s something super extra special about this cinnamon. Try it, you’ll be hooked.
So whether you cut a baguette into two-inch slices like so —
Or go traditional, stuff that toast and enjoy your weekend.
Gluten-Free Stuffed French Toast
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 7 minutes
8 slices of bread, your choice
1 teaspoon vanilla
Chopped nuts, your choice (optional)
3 ounces cream cheese
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons nutmeg or Vietnamese cinnamon
1. Slice your bread into two-inch pieces, if not already sliced. Put aside.
2. Cream together the vanilla, cream cheese, and add nuts at the end. Spread between two slices of bread, sticking them together.
3. Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg or cinnamon together in a bowl. Soak your bread and cream cheese stackers on all sides.
4. Transfer bread to hot, buttered skillet and cook on all sides until brown.
5. Serve with powdered sugar, fruit, or syrup. Your choice, go crazy!
Makes: 4 servings