I know it may seem like I’ve been a bit obsessed with bar-like desserts lately. It’s true. And as of right now, I don’t see a problem with whipping up brownies, cookie bars, cake bars, candy bars, bar bars, at all. Sometimes when you’re gluten-free you’ve got to go the path of least resistance and ditch trying to make a perfect pie crust and layer cake. Make a freaking bar, people, and enjoy your weekend.
I found this recipe on Heat Oven to 350, which seems like a genius name for a blog. Can you say SEO? The beautiful thin cookie bar they have pictured was rejected in favor of a fat cookie brownie type thing at my house. Because we don’t discriminate against the chubby, that’s why.
While I will say eating these gluten-free chocolate chip cheesecake bars was the best part of the process (I mean, duh), making these little cookie discs to sit atop the bar was also fun.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
adapted from HeatOvento350
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
2 cups chocolate chips
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together shortening, butter, and sugars. Add vanilla, salt, and vinegar. Beat in the egg, then add the baking soda and the gluten-free flour. Set aside.
2. Cream together sugar and cream cheese. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
3. Taking half of the chocolate chip cookie mixture, cover the bottom of a 9″ X 13″ pan. Pour the entire cream cheese mixture on top of the first layer.
4. Roll the rest of the chocolate chip cookie mixture into balls, then flatten into discs and place on top of the cream cheese mixture.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, allow to cool, then place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Makes: 16 bars